Panic Attacks can be defined as a sudden unexpected fear at a particular point of time. When you are suffering from panic attacks you may experience increase in heartbeat rate, breathlessness and some times you may feel that you are doing. Panic attacks are unpredictable as it sometimes happen when you are sleeping or even when you are relaxing which means it comes and without any warnings.
How long does panic attacks remain?
There is no evidence that panic attacks are one-time occurrence or repeated occurrences. When I talk about one-time occurrence it can be happened due to a sudden lifestyle change and once you cope up with it these issues can be resolved. While for others panic attacks can occur repeatedly due to some situations or during some events like public speaking or it can happen while looking down from the top of a tower. The repeated panic attacks are something that needed to be taken care off, as this kind of situations has to be faced by each of us in our life. So, for people with different phobia’s will be vulnerable to this kind of panic attacks.
So, for how long it will last will remain as a question. For some people, it make take few seconds to be relieved from this attacks and after the attacks they will feel perfectly alright and happy. For others, it can happen one after the other.
What are the common signs and symptoms of panic attacks?
Duration of most of the panic attacks are 10 minutes and rarely last more than an hour. Signs and symptoms can be seen at anywhere at any time. One can experience the attacks while watching a TV, going for an outing or even when you are having food.
The main symptoms of panic attacks are :
- Difficulty in Breathing
- Pain in and around chest
- Excessive sweating
- Tiredness or feel like fainting
- Feels like dying or go crazy
- Choking like sensations
The symptoms of panic attacks are much common to that with the heart attacks. The tiredness, breathlessness and chest pain are common to both panic attacks and heart attacks. Many of us mistakenly thinks that we are suffering from heart attacks and go to hospitals but actually these symptoms can be due to panic attacks.
Do medical conditions o related issues cause panic attack?
Yes, the medical conditions can also cause panic attacks. If you, think you are suffering from panic attacks it is very important to consult a doctor to check whether you have the following medical conditions :
- Heart disease.
- Thyroid problems, such as hyperthyroidism.
- Respiratory disorders, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and asthma.
- Drug abuse
- Withdrawal from alcohol or anti-anxiety medications
- Chronic pain or irritable bowel syndrome.
What are the steps to avoid panic attacks?
- Focus on the issues that makes you panic: Suppose you are a person having fear while speaking in public. Public speaking cannot be avoided sometimes. In such situations, you have to focus and pre plan on what you are going to present in public. A well planning helps you to overcome fear.
- Avoid using drugs and high caffeine content – These kinds of substances can cause stress and anxiety in you thus lead to panic attacks.
- Control Breathing – When you focus on the issues that are creating fear in you, it will be easier for you to avoid panic situations. In such situations take a deep breathe, deep breath can help you feel relieved.
- Do exercises regularly – Regular exercises can produce some good hormones in you which helps you to be free from stress, anxiety and depression.
How can I help someone who is suffering from panic attacks?
- Ask them to keep themselves relaxed.
- Guide them to do some breathing exercises.
- Show some exercises to make them comfortable
- Ask them to find a therapist who can help them resolve this panic attacks.